"Because you can be sure, my dear Crito, that misuse of words is not only troublesome in itself, but actually has a bad effect on the soul." Phaedo

The evil Little Vowel:

DSCN3063 bnc hue

There is more to all this,

And yet, this is how it is done.

Kyrie Eleison, a blur.  From behind?

If only, I hadn’t chosen to swim alone,

That night; never meant to forget.

From where did these bellows,

drenched in static echoes, arise?

How long did the distraction gut sight,

That the Insipid presence that surrounds,

Arrived, too late to notice?

Unvarnished timbers, too close to escape,

Not far enough to be uncertain,

Sever a reverent staccato;

the severe timbre of a fierce bow.

Frosted in naked waters,

Garments of a wicked cold, encroaches.

Effaced danger palms the acrid delight;

Enter, with palms of Galilee,

The façade of ‘more,’

The one worth pocketing.

Clamoring to be heard,

mistaken for the herd,

the sermon longs for misty shores,

perplexed by soring vestiges,

but sure, these acquisitions,

no sore battlements can win.

The victory of you,

Is not from damnable I,

Damming the underground venture,

at cruel junctions,

Neither holy nous nor wholly noose,

But a repertoire to the noumenon.

And let it be No mistake,

No One knows, the One who knows.

Taken, not by my words, if satiated,

But the evil little vowel,

Dining on crisp reductions,

Delivering I to eye, eye from I,

Living apologies,

Of what I have done,

And failed to do,

So the insolvent state,

Neither mine to give or take,

[push publish]

Relates the perpetual advent of you.

7 responses

1. Gorgeous!

December 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm

• Thank you. Hope it stirs the mind. 🙂

December 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm

2. veritasxlogos

I enjoy the breaking of the third wall – especially with online poetry. It is something that I have also investigated. The [push publish] that signifies the commitment to externalization of the self that intrinsically creates an ‘other’. Born from you, but no longer you, yet it points toward you.

That in the end is essence here – distance. And it is felt through the poem. The juxtaposition of “I” and “you” are obvious, as it should be, but deep. The format of the poem itself is long so that the start and end are far away with small lines of words forming a latter. I’m not one to play with formatting (I, in fact, hate it) but one wonders if you centered the piece in the page if that would lend a tangible metaphor. A latter from start to finish with Kant peeking in through the slats. Most common punctuation in this piece are commas and question marks. It creates the motion and is a very good thing. Both beg a continuation, an elongation that forces the distance. It creates space through small things – like the space between the soul and body. The space between the I and thou. And perhaps the space between us and the Other (note the capital O).

Not as vocal as your other pieces. Again more of a thinker, more internal. But still very good. It is good to have various tools in the tool box.

December 4, 2014 at 4:24 pm

3. Whoa! You hit upon a topic that was not my in my original intent, but to see it written strike a true note. Yes, I do hope I might be able to safely offer a thought to another that penetrates social norms. That “third wall” that is essentially conformity disguised as peace. And I hope to do so without that wall harming those who make the choice to do some demolition work, and/or others in the processes. And you are so very correct in dialect of motion, I am so glad that that element was presumed. The essence of journeying inward in the “I” and outward through the “eye” is so personal, no one should interfere. And, I don’t believe most intend to interfere, some simply and truly only want to related their ecstatic experience to others, and hope one might find the joy they experienced. But, I believe the joy indicative of God’s presence, cannot be discovered when another says “I can show you God” that the very word “I” negates God in favor of “self.” And, again, I do not believe a person who says this truly intends to harm, but the best representatives {Good Priests, nuns, Rabbis, Buddhist Masters, Keepers of the Vedas, etc} of the Remote, [God] can recognize a Koan when they hear it issued from Journeyman desiring to be a Witness. And they will know of their own ecstatic experience, which can be like a cold breath over the shoulder, or how peripheral sight can pinch our stomachs with a sudden drop and toys with our minds the knowledge of a real presence, is from making that free choice to swim alone and maybe not necessarily regretting it [“If only”] but realizing that in becoming a witness, now you have a sacred responsibility, very close to the sacred responsibility of the Messianic Secret.

Yes, I did have some concerns about the length, perhaps my own avid gazing done-me-in so I am glad that perhaps the length lends itself to the motion, time and distances observed as methodical. And I will consider the centering on future projects. Thank you VX, you input is most cheering, and greatly appreciated. WL

December 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

• veritasxlogos

Length can be tricky in poetry. I always struggle because I admire the short form but my strength is description which lends itself to a longer form. I never end up feeling right, but that is perhaps fitting in the case of this poem wherein distance is so critical.

I had initially missed the ‘eye’ / ‘I’ playfulness. I’m glad you touched upon in your commentary. It opens the poem more to feeling.

Don’t take the centering too seriously. I am already regretting it having mentioned it. I simply loath (for no good reason) playing with the physical space of poetry. I have tried it myself on several occasions – but I feel like the electronic nature of our submissions mutes the meaning. If written, perhaps.

December 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm

• I did struggle to part with certain elements that seemed to complete the direction and tenor of this piece and I hope that that was the utterings of the “word spirits” saying “don’t hit delete.” 🙂

I hope it is not too forward of me to say, that I truly enjoy the communications we have. You express an honesty that is rare in this society; direct yet playful. It is visible in your work and commentary and it is greatly appreciated, in the way, that I will consider what your “eye” observes, and it has helped me consider how I will be heard as opposed to the pure hermeneutics. And I agree, [while helpful on many levels] the computer does seem to exhume [maybe too strong of a word?] some of the life within a piece that requires centering and knowing one’s own heart. Maybe not completely but perhaps in some ways, de-personalize it. (?) And while that could be considered an encumbrance, it can also force an artist to look deeper.

Looking forward to future commentary.
        Breath deep, WL

December 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

4. veritasxlogos

Well thank you! I really appreciate our communications as well. In the fast paced internet world it is so easy to just hit “like” then pass on. Commenting – especially thoughtful commenting – actually takes time. Plus it has the good benefit of keeping me engaged with the community even if I am not putting out poetry. So, thank you.

There will always be more commentary.

~Vxl